An unusual morbid charm is offered by the decaying Schmerwitz Castle near Wiesenburg, which Carl Friedrich Brandt of Lindau had built in 1736 as a simple three-winged castle. 1871/73 was an extension with partly neo-Baroque forms. The south wing is missing since a fire in 1892 and the elaborate façade decoration on the back is from the early 20th century. Used since 1945 as a training center of the Soviet Army followed up to the 1980s, conversions and extensions that were not necessarily based on the historic architecture. Since the fall of the house is endangered by vacancy and disintegrates.
October 16, 2016
The entire area with the large, spooky manor and the entire vacant buildings from GDR times looks very ghostly and steals only the reflection of past, living times. Only the green gazebo in the garden defends steadfastly against the decay and exudes a kind of optimism.
December 27, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!