The lovingly designed sculpture on Linggplatz was erected there in 2003 to commemorate an anecdote from the city's history in 1674. In that year, the citizens of Hersfeld discovered a cloud of smoke on the church tower. Only when the preparations for the extinguishing work were already in full swing, it turned out that it was not a fire, but a large swarm of mosquitoes. Since this event, the name "mosquito-hitters" for the Hersfelder citizens consolidated. The sculpture itself is aligned in such a way that it embeds the real, then affected church tower in the scenery.
April 7, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!