This Highlight is in a protected area
Please check local regulations for: Biosphärenreservat Pfälzerwald-Vosges du Nord
The castle was probably built around 1152 by Emperor Frederick Barbarossa to protect the imperial land and to secure the Hohenstaufen family estate. The castle was destroyed in the 30-year war. Part of the castle is today a country school home.
May 26, 2018
Visually no highlight, but you can rent them for youth camps ... that is definitely a highlight
August 2, 2018
Old walls that you pass on the route, but are a bit inconspicuous. But quite ok, since you come by anyway ...
August 16, 2020
A school camp is located in the well-preserved castle
July 12, 2020
Unfortunately, we could only look at the castle from the outside. It was just a summer camp there.
August 17, 2019
Everything left in its natural state, thus good air. Here you can discover plants that are allowed to grow naturally. The Palatinate Forest is the largest contiguous forest area in Germany.
November 26, 2020
Castle was not a highlight now, but the way to the gorge is completely adventurous
July 11, 2020
From my point of view not a very spectacular castle, rather simple and not always accessible, to go around as much as possible. The narrow paths up and down are very nice on their own.
January 24, 2022
beautiful castle - unfortunately no access as this is used as a country school home
April 20, 2022
The stone Wilenstein Castle rises up between the trees as if from a film. What looks like a ruin inside offers a large adventure playground for children and young people, because today there is a school camp here. Part of the castle was restored for this. Everyone would definitely like to play knight one day: burgwilenstein.de.
May 26, 2021
An example of how historical buildings that are in danger of decay can be preserved through meaningful use: A school camp has been built here, which will hopefully be used, e.g. for history lessons!
June 8, 2021
The rock castle in Karlstal was built in the middle of the 12th century, according to today's knowledge by the Counts of Saar Werden as the permanent seat of the Hornbach monastery and administered by the Lords of Wilenstein as ministerials. In 1334 the fortress was destroyed in a feud, but soon afterwards it was bought as a double castle with two owners: the Falkensteiners and the Flörsheimers (Flersheimern). Because of the difficult and changing ownership structure, there were always many trades.In the Worms Synod of 1496, a castle chapel on the Wilenstein is mentioned. It was consecrated to St. George and was subordinate to the parish of Aschbach. The castle was destroyed again during the Thirty Years' War. In the 18th century the castle came under the rule of Trippstadt of the Barons von Hacke and remained in ruins. The enclosed Wilensteiner Hof and the former Falkensteiner - today Klug'sche Mühle - are still inhabited.In the years 1958 to 1960 a new building or reconstruction of the older castle resulted in a school camp.
December 26, 2021
This (small) castle (ruin) can only be viewed from its own parking lot, as it is not intended for visits by hikers/tourists. There are signs everywhere that this is private property. Then:The castle is a leisure home (mainly a school country home) and can also be rented for larger groups/festivities. She also has a wedding room.
May 21, 2023
In the second half of the 12th century a castle of unknown size was built. The round keep, a residential building (Flörsheimer Bau) and the moat (construction phase I) can be grasped from it. In the second half of the 13th century, the complex was extensively expanded. A shield wall, a residential building in the north-west corner and a building standing at right angles to it were built in the east (construction phase II). Soon after the destruction of 1333, the damage was repaired (repair of the shield wall) and the castle was again extensively rebuilt on the occasion of a division (construction phase III). It was only in this phase that the Flörsheim part of the castle acquired its present form through the construction of the pentagonal keep and the new residential building - on the remains of the predecessor.
Source and further information: burgwilenstein.de/files/burgwilenstein/alletexte/geschichte_der_burg/History%20der%20Burg%20Wilenstein.pdf
January 6, 2023
The Felsenburg in the Karlstal was probably built in the middle of the 12th century, according to current knowledge by the Counts of Saar Werden as a permanent official seat for the Hornbach Monastery and managed by the Lords of Wilenstein as ministerials. In 1334, the fortress was destroyed in a feud, but soon afterwards it arose as a double castle with two owners: the Falkensteiners and the Flörsheimers (Flersheimers). Because of the difficult and changing ownership situation, there was always a lot of bargaining.
May 12, 2023
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.Learn more