"The Neue Wache on the street Unter den Linden recalls the victims of war and tyranny as the central memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany.Right next to the arsenal, which today houses the German Historical Museum, is the quite small Neue Wache. It was built in the years 1816-1818 according to the designs of Karl Friedrich Schinkel and has been since 1993 the central memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the victims of wars and tyranny.New guard as a memorial
The Neue Wache served until 1918 as "main and royal guard" and was understood despite active use as a monument to the "wars of liberation". In 1931 President Paul von Hindenburg determined that the building should become a memorial to the fallen soldiers of the First World War. The transformation took over the architect Heinrich Tessenow, who set up inside a black granite block with an oak leaves wreath of silver and gold.Käthe Kollwitz sculpture in the Neue Wache
After the guard was almost completely destroyed in the Second World War, the GDR leadership had the building reconstructed and transformed in 1960 into a memorial for the victims of fascism and militarism. Inside, an "Eternal Flame" burned over the urns of an unknown concentration camp prisoner and an unknown soldier. The sculpture "Mother with a dead son" by Käthe Kollwitz has been inside since 1993, reminding of the victims of war and tyranny. "Source & further information: berlin.de/sehenswuerdigkeiten/3561353-3558930- new-wache.html
February 20, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!