"The Postfuhramt (formerly: Kaiserliches Postfuhramt) is a representative brick building on Oranienburger Strasse in the Berlin district of Mitte in the district of the same name. It was completed in 1881 and was one of the largest official buildings in Berlin at the time. It has been a listed building since 1975.The immediate reason for the construction of the Postfuhramt was on the one hand the increasing demand for horses with the increasing number of horse-drawn vehicles, on the other hand the catastrophic hygiene and dilapidation of the old stables; numerous animals died there in March 1874. First, two two-storey stables were built in the courtyard of the planned new facility for a total of about 250 horses. The lower floors were partially embedded in the floor, the upper floors accessible via ramps. When the post office was completely modernized in 1925, these stable buildings disappeared. A loading point and a wagon hall were built in the courtyard; both were destroyed in the war (...) "Source: Wikipedia
March 10, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.