Dörnhof - probably derived from arid dry courtyard.
The Burgstall Dörnhof is a lost medieval low castle. In 1502 the castle is mentioned as "Dürnhoff" in an unfulfilled sales contract between the Nuremberg citizens Hans Helchner and Sebald Tucher. On December 13, 1505, Hans Helchner jun. the "Durnhof" was sold to the city of Nuremberg as an independent seat with the property. The seat was last mentioned in 1547. Presumably the seat was destroyed in 1553 during the Second Margrave War.
From the former castle complex on the triangular castle square, high lining walls can still be seen on the valley side of the Einödhof and faint traces of a neck ditch on the mountain side.
The watercourse visible in the area is evidence of the artificially created medieval ditch system for irrigation of the meadows in the Großenoher Valley.
August 16, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.