High above the village Krögelstein lies the parish church in its unmistakable shape. The building, which dates back to the Gothic late phase, is very uniform except for a few changes from the Renaissance period. The church tower was built around 1560, the attached stair tower with spiral staircase was built in 1607, as can be read in the coat of arms of the family of patrons of Giech. The church room with its old stalls with doors and the double galleries is aligned on the raised around several levels choir room with cross vault. In it is an interesting pulpit altar. The altar cross, created around 1500, is a Bamberg work. The galleries were built in the Baroque spirit around 1780 and are typical of Margrave churches. On the west wall are two epitaphs for family members of Giech. A bronze epitaph of 1609 and one of sandstone from 1617. On the opposite side, emigrants commemorate on a plaque of their former homeland. This is one of the few signs that remind of the fact that especially in the second half of the 19th century many people moved away from the economically barren Franconian Switzerland, as here to Philadelphia / USA.
July 19, 2017
Here are a few dates on the chronology: As early as 1350 a castle chapel was built here. In 1530 Krögelstein becomes Evangelical Lutheran. 1560, the church tower is built. In 1570 the first evangelical priest is installed. In 1600, the acquisition of a bell took place and in 1607 the current church was built. From 1705 to 1760 the pulpit is installed, 1763 a clock tower and 1780 the galleries. In 1947 the church was renovated and the galleries were decorated with pictures and slogans. In 1962, the six-armed chandelier was installed. In 1985, a fundamental restoration was required and in 1986, the new organ was installed.
July 19, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.