After the cities of Elberfeld, Barmen and other previously independent cities were merged to form the new city of Wuppertal in 1929, the seat of the city council and the headquarters of the city administration was moved to the Barmer Rathaus. Only parts of the administration remained in the town hall of Elberfeld, so that it lost its function as a town hall and until today only has the function of an administration building. Today, the main areas of social administration are housed here.
July 27, 2017
The town hall building, built in the style of the outgoing neo-Gothic or eclecticism, consists of a block construction with the main facade opposite the Neumarkt. Another building wing of the same height in the form of a warped "U" is attached to it in the northeast and surrounds the small courtyard.
The town hall has four full floors and an attic. The most striking component is the 79-meter-high square town hall tower, which is made of masonry in the lower area and has a towering canopy clad with copper sheet, which has now been colored accordingly by the application of patina. The tower has a clock with slate dials on all four sides and a small ringing of bells.
The town hall also has two other stair towers and a roof rider. There are three stairwells, a paternoster lift and an elevator for the disabled. The façade consists of the areas of previously light gray basalt lava from Londorf due to aging, the structure and decorations are made of sandstone, which has darkened significantly over the years.
The glass painter Alexander Linnemann from Frankfurt created some glass windows for the town hall in 1900. The Linnemann archive contains four sketches and old photos.
July 29, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.