Initially inaugurated as railway station of the Altona-Kieler Eisenbahn-Gesellschaft in 1844, the railway line was the first under Danish sovereignty. Altona was under Danish command from 1640 to 1864. On August 23, 1664 Altona were granted by the King of Denmark, Frederick III, the city rights and the now more independent Altona grew rapidly. In 1803, the neighboring city of Hamburg with 24,000 inhabitants was even the second largest city in Denmark - behind Copenhagen. Built in the mid-19th century station could no longer meet the now necessary capacity and so a few hundred meters north, approximately at the site of today's station, the Altona Central Station was built. The then became functionless construction on the Republic Square was then rebuilt to the city hall.
The Altona town hall, which was rebuilt in the Wilhelminian style, was first realized as a classicist building by the architect Emil Brandt. In the period from 1898 to 1938 it served the city administration. The collegiate hall for the city council meeting in the north wing and a service apartment for the mayor in the east wing were created alongside other premises. The collegiate hall was embellished in 1900 by several paintings by the artist Ludwig Dettman, which refer to the Danish background of Altona. In the following decades, the building was converted into a neoclassical building. Due to the Greater Hamburg Act in 1937/38 Altona was incorporated into the Hamburg city and lost thereby its independence.
February 15, 2019
In 1844, the building designed by Oskar Winkler was opened as the railway station of the Ostseebahn between Altona and Kiel.
From 1891, according to the designs of city architect Joseph Brix and city master builder Emil Brandt the rebuilding work to the town hall took place. The main changes were the meeting room (Kollegiensaal) and the establishment of a Bürgermeisterwohnung. The gable reliefs are by Ernst Barlach and Carl Gabers.
As Altona City Hall, the building was inaugurated in 1898. During the Second World War, the town hall was partially destroyed and then rebuilt.
Since 2006, the restored mural by Ludwig Dettmann with key scenes of Altona history, which have since been kept in the Altonaer Museum, hang in the collegiate hall.
Today, the town hall is the seat of the district office Altona.hamburg.de/altona/baudenkmaeler/2839168/altonaer-rathaus
November 26, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.