Built between 1763 and 1769 at the end of Grosse Allee in the west of Park Sanssouci, the New Palace with its mighty 55-meter-high dome is the last baroque palace to be built in Prussia. You can visit the marble gallery or the mussel hall - depending on the status of the renovation work, it is advisable to check which rooms are currently open before visiting.
May 1, 2015
Built between 1763 and 1769, the New Palace is found at the western side of Park Sanssouci and considered to be the last great Prussian baroque palace. The castle comprises of more than 200 rooms, a few of which are open to the public, such as the Marble Hall and the Marble Gallery. Depending on the progress of renovation works, some of the rooms may be closed.
May 20, 2015
According to an anecdote, there was a dispute between the king (Frederick the Great) and his master builder about the New Palace. The king insisted that the palace should be built on the ground floor so that visitors would not have to climb stairs. This would have meant that the Havel flood, which was still common at the time, could also have penetrated the New Palais. The builder had therefore pleaded for a base. The king was on the road for a long time, which the builder used to defy the king's command and to build a raised foundation.
A construction error costs the restorers dearly today. The tiles in the upper hall, which had to be laid wet, had already been laid before the substrate, which was supposed to seal the floor watertight, had dried. It just had to be finished quickly. This enabled water to get to the load-bearing beams, which of course today, after more than two hundred years, are partially rotten. Therefore, the floor in the upper large hall is no longer stable and the hall is not accessible.
February 12, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!