Bike Touring Highlight
The New Palace is a castle on the west side of the park Sanssouci in Potsdam. The construction was begun in 1763 after the end of the Seven Years War under Frederick the Great and completed in 1769. It is considered the last significant castle of Baroque in Prussia. Friedrich had not planned it as a royal residence, but as a castle for guests of his court. Emperor Wilhelm II made the New Palace from 1888 to 1918 permanently his summer residence.Managed by the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg, the castle is accessible as a museum. In the communs, the former business buildings, faculties and parts of the administration of the University of Potsdam are housed.In the far west, still behind the front of the New Palace and the Mopke, the castle park is completed by the Communs. Purpose and name of the two buildings corresponded to the model of the Grand Commun at the Palace of Versailles. As established there in direct relation to the palace, they also served in addition to the accommodation of its kitchens and other economic areas as accommodation for guests and officials of the king and their servants. After having been improved by architect Jean Laurent Legeay, Carl von Gontard erected these representative buildings in the years 1766 to 1769. Large double-flighted staircases, colonnades, domes and a rich ornamentation do not reveal the formerly practical purpose. Their connection over the colonnade arch with the triumphal gate make them a unified whole and give the New Palace an effective counterpart, before even further west uninhabited forest areas join. Additional buildings were built in 1769 for the Guard in the south and the Kastellan in the north.Source:
Southwest at the end of the square between the New Palace and the Communs stands the former guard of Carl von Gontard (1768/69) in which there is now a visitor center with residence and free information, cashier, tourist shop, toilets (!) And Café.
Those interested in architecture (for recent edifices) should view the faculty library in the southwest courtyard of the Communs. Entrance is from the back to the west.
In the university area, there is also a cafeteria, where you can eat something cheap. A café & restaurant "Fredersdorf" is within sight of the New Palace at the exit of the park.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!