The Luisenstadt Canal is a historic inner-city canal in Berlin's Luisenstadt, which connected the Spree to the Landwehr Canal. It was opened in 1852 and ran through the later districts of Kreuzberg and Mitte. In 1926 the canal was filled up to the Engelbecken and redesigned into a garden. With the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961, the border between East and West Berlin ran along the northern part of the canal until 1990. The gardens, which had been destroyed since the Second World War, have been partially reconstructed since 1991.
May 3, 2020
Built as a Luisenstädtischer channel from 1848 to the connection of Landwehrkanal and Spree to 2.3 km in length. In part, the adjacent houses were supplied directly from the ship with building material. Filled in 1926 and designed as a green corridor. Exciting history under Wikipedia.
January 27, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.