The old Botanical Garden and the Cafe Botany are located in the lower Karspüle 2 in 37073 Göttingen.
The Old Botanical Garden, which dates back to the founding of Haller, is located in the northeast of the medieval city center behind the old Audimax. It has a size of 5 hectares as a systematic garden and contains more than 12,000 different plant species, which are managed by the University of Albrecht von Haller Institute of Plant Sciences. The historic grounds of the garden within the city wall were later joined by three historic tunnels below the Wall, which are now outside the Wall. Within the wall are several publicly accessible greenhouses (historic fern house, orangery, cold house, rainforest house, Cycadeenhaus, Araceenhaus, succulent house, cactus house) and institute building. Outside the Wall there is a system of the latest phylogenetic findings as well as an alpinum with different habitats, a historical garden and an arboretum. With the abolition of the University of Helmstedt in 1810, the plant stocks were transferred from their botanical garden to the Göttinger.
February 25, 2018
The botanical garden is freely accessible without access to the opening times and is beautiful in every season - of course especially in late spring. A green oasis of peace, also interesting for children with the two tunnels under the wall. After the visit it is worth stopping at the Café Botany
November 4, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!