The Deutsches Theater (DT) is a theater built in 1890 in Göttingen. The theater is the biggest in Göttingen. After the conflagration of the old city theater on the Neuer Markt, today's Wilhelmsplatz, on the night of January 10 to 11, 1887, the citizens of Göttingen agreed on the necessity of a new, worthy theater building. On July 18, 1887 met the municipal bodies the decision to build the theater between the Royal Gymnasium (now Max Planck Gymnasium) and the Göttingen ramparts in the eastern district. The fears (borne up to the government presidents and ministers of education), the proximity of the theater would represent a moral threat to the students of the high school, proved to be unfounded. The theater was built in the years 1889 and 1890 as a duplicate of the Oldenburg Grand Ducal Court Theater by architect Nierenheim according to the plans of the Oldenburg court architect Gerhard Schnitger as a stone building in the style of the neo-Renaissance.
Between 1958 and 1963 Götz George played at DT, who later became known nationwide as the crime scene commissar "Schimanski".
June 8, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!