The Evangelical Lutheran parish church of St. Jacobi in the old town of Göttingen is a built between 1361 and 1433 three-nave Gothic hall church. The patron saint is James the Elder. The tower of the church is with its 72 meters height the tallest building of the old part of Göttingen. The Gothic winged altar from 1402, which is located in the choir of the church, is of supra-regional importance.
St. Jacobi is one of the four inner-city churches seen from the Four-Church view.
June 8, 2017
The St. Jacobi Church in Göttingen's pedestrian zone is an open city church that radiates far beyond the boundaries of the municipal district and the city.
1. Thanks to many volunteers, it is open every day of the year. Every year, about 75,000 people visit the open church to find silence, to pray or to discover the impressive gothic building and its works of art (including the largest alteration altar of southern Lower Saxony from 1402, Johannes Schreiter's window cycle of 1997/98).
2. The St. Jacobi Church is an attractive place for musically and liturgically demanding worship services.
3. With about 100 concerts per year (weekly organ music on Friday evening, midday music on Saturday, major chamber, choir and organ concerts), St. Jacobi is an outstanding place for culture in Göttingen.
4. With two thematic series of lectures per year and exhibitions on historical-social topics and art exhibitions, the St. Jacobi community enriches the cultural and educational landscape of the city.
5. St. Jacobi bears the seal "Diakonische Gemeinde" of the Hannoversche Landeskirche and has been supporting a school work aid for migrant children for over 30 years.
6. St. Jacobi maintains a partnership with the parish of Mlalo / Tanzania. In the vicinity of Göttingen, honorary members of the community maintain a meadow orchard in accordance with ecological standards, which was awarded the title of the most beautiful orchard in Lower Saxony in 2014 by the BUND Landesverband Niedersachsen.Municipal office: Sonja Schlesinger, Jacobikirchhof 2, 37073 Göttingen,
Tel. (0551) 5 75 96
September 26, 2018
The Jacobi Church is something very special: first mentioned in 1245, the Gothic double-winged altar, made in 1402 by unknown artists, is particularly worth seeing. It tells legends of St. James the Greater, the patron saint of the church, and about the youth and passion of Jesus. A figure of St. Jacob on the west side and a scallop recessed in the floor in front of the main portal indicate that the Jacobi Church is part of the pilgrimage route (Jacobsweg). The organ, which can be heard every Friday at a free concert, is the largest and most important in Northern Germany. You can climb the approx. 72m high church tower and enjoy a wonderful view over the whole city. The geometrically painted columns inside the church are also worth mentioning. Thanks to many voluntary church keepers, St. Jacobi is open for at least four hours on about 350 days a year
November 19, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.