"Until 1395 there was a field stone church on the site of the Katharinenkirche. The architect of Stettin, Hinrich Brunsberg, started rebuilding the Katharinenkirche, the largest church in the city, after 1381. It was consecrated in 1401 to St. Catherine, St. Amalberga and St. Nicholas. This date an inscription in the north chapel, according to dendrochronological dating of the roof structure from 1399–1400 (d), only refers to the completion of the long hall without vaults.The north chapel itself was only completed after a change in plan and was consecrated in 1434, at which time the southern chapel chapel was also closed The handling choir was covered only from 1426 (d) and vaulted before the middle of the 15th century.  At the end of the 15th century, the south porch with library on the upper floor followed in front of the south portal. " (...)Source: Wikipedia
July 23, 2020
The parish church of the Neustadt, first mentioned in 1217, was a cruciform, single-aisled field stone church, the traces of which can still be seen in the western building.
It was consecrated to St. Catherine and St. Amalberga.The St. Katharinenkirche is an outstanding masterpiece of North German brick architecture. The new construction of the church began in the 1380s with the long hall, which closed to the east with a painted tracery gable preserved in the roof. The southern Corpus Christi chapel followed in 1395. In 1401, the inscription for the inauguration of this construction phase named the famous Heinrich Brunsberg from Stettin as the master builder.Characteristic are the inward-facing buttresses, the smooth outer walls divided by tracery bands and the figured vaults on the inside. The north chapel was consecrated in 1434. Instead of the planned hall choir, the hall choir was erected until 1474. The older west tower, rebuilt in 1494, had to be rebuilt after the collapse in 1582/92.Restorations were carried out on the exterior in 1864-65 and inside in 1842 and 1911-12. The renovation, which had been going on from 1970 to 1992, led to the reconstruction of the late Gothic room version. The repair of roofs, tower and outer skin has been completed since 2004.The Katharinenkirche is the largest church in the city of Brandenburg an der Havel. It is rich in interiors and works of art, such as the octagonal bronze baptismal font from 1440 and the rich figure decoration in the pointed gable niches on the sides.erlebnis-brandenburg.de/sehenswuerdigkeits/brandenburg-an-der-havel/st-katharinenkirche
July 24, 2020
The parish church of the New Town, first mentioned in 1217, was a cruciform, single-aisled stone church, the traces of which can still be seen in the western building.
It was dedicated to St. Catherine and St. Amalberga.
The St. Katharinenkirche, is an outstanding masterpiece of North German brick art. The new building of the church began in the 1380s with the hall long house, which ended with a preserved in the roof, painted gable east to the east. 1395 followed the southern Corpus Christi chapel. The inscription for the inauguration of this section mentions 1401 the famous Heinrich Brunsberg from Szczecin as a master builder.
Characteristic features are the buttresses drawn inwards, the smooth outer walls girded by bands of tracery and the figured vaults inside. The North Chapel was consecrated in 1434. Instead of the planned hall choir was built until 1474 the hallway choir. The 1494 rebuilt older west tower had to be rebuilt after collapse in 1582/92.
Restoration took place in 1864-65 on the exterior and in 1842 and 1911-12 inside. The refurbishment, which has been in progress since 1970 to 1992, led to the reconstruction of the late Gothic room frame. The repair of roofs, tower and outer skin has been completed since 2004.
The Katharinenkirche is the largest church in the city of Brandenburg an der Havel. It is rich in interiors and works of art, such as the octagonal bronze baptismal font of 1440 and the rich figure decoration in the gnarled niches of the sides.
May 4, 2019
Very pretty church with beautiful painting of the vaults and the pleasure of listening to five organs, which can be played together from a console. This extraordinary listening experience can be enjoyed every day at 12.00 with an approximately half-hour organ (s) concert.
October 26, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.