7

Klaus

69

Followers

About Klaus
Distance travelled

690 mi

Time in motion

136:27 h

Recent Activity
  1. Klaus went for a hike.

    August 23, 2020

    01:34
    3.76 mi
    2.4 mph
    75 ft
    75 ft
    Rita Schwarz and Bea like this.
    1. Klaus

      Experience rare animals in the Erpetal
      A walk through the protected landscape area
      A few minutes from the Friedrichshagen S-Bahn station in Berlin's Köpenick district, you are in the middle of the Erpe Valley nature reserve. The 32-kilometer-long small river is a tributary of the Spree and rises from a headwaters in Werneuchen in Brandenburg.The Erpe Valley is one of the last preserved river valleys in the region, with lush wet meadows and rare plant and insect species that are otherwise hardly to be seen.
      If you keep your eyes open and your mouth closed, the kingfisher, dragonfly, moor frog, grass snake or beaver can be seen in their natural habitats. Since the bog soils of the Erpetal meadows are relatively difficult to manage, water buffalo and robust cattle races take over the "care" of the meadows and pastures.
      We hiked a small section of the landscape protection area from Friedrichshagen train station.The Kurpark begins right behind the train station and has existed since the end of the 19th century when the then city of Cöpenick wanted to develop Friedrichshagen into a health resort. In 1880 the city had a pump room, a medical pavilion and a spa restaurant with a music hall built. In 1914 the facility was expanded to include a few tennis courts and in 1930 to include the natural theater. The facility was destroyed in the Second World War, but rebuilt in 1958.Today, however, there is hardly anything left of the former spa park, except for the name on the city map, an open-air cinema and the tennis courts.The street “Hinter dem Kurpark” brings us to Erpe. We follow the narrow path to the left of the river and walk in the direction of the flow. Immediately we dive into lush nature with boggy soils, tall reeds and rare plant species such as purple loosestrife and yellow meadow rue.On the right the Erpe, on the left the meadow landscape with cattle, after around 700 meters we come to another bridge that we cross. We follow the S-Bahn line for 150 meters and turn right into Spitzwegerichweg, which leads us through a small garden settlement. The next branch on the left brings us directly into the pine forest, which later turns into a mixed forest. After around 700 meters we come out of the “dark” forest to a “light” clearing. On the former “Mittelheide” shooting range, “Erika” blooms in some places in August / September, between birch and juniper bushes. However, there is nothing to be seen of a blooming heather landscape in the state of Brandenburg, which invites you to go on a heather hike.The clear area flows back into mixed forest, which we walk through in a slight right-hand curve and in the district of Ravenstein via Mühlenstraße back to Erpe.
      We cross the Erpe to follow the river on the left side again. Past allotment gardens and unspoilt nature, we come back to the starting point, which takes us back to the Friedrichshagen S-Bahn station via the street “Hinter dem Kurpark”.
      The approximately 6-kilometer circular route can be comfortably covered in two hours. Text and photos: Klaus Tolkmitt

      translated byView Original
      • September 14, 2020

  2. Klaus went for a hike.

    April 27, 2020

    03:48
    9.16 mi
    2.4 mph
    100 ft
    125 ft
    Hendrik and Bea like this.
    1. Klaus

      Berlin hiking trail 4
      From the Mauerpark to Lübars
      Berlin has 20 main green paths where you can hike, stroll or just go for a walk. The network of paths through the green corridors of the city spans more than 550 kilometers, where you are largely spared the flowing traffic and no longer perceive the noise of a big city as a nuisance.The hiking trail 4 runs in a south-north direction and largely accompanies the S-Bahn lines 8 and 26. The almost 15 km long route is characterized by a large number of green sections along the Wall Trail.We start the tour at the memorial to the escape tunnel on Schwedter Straße and are in Mauerpark after crossing Eberswalder Straße. It was formerly a parade ground, after the wall was built in 1961 the section belonged to the border area and was therefore a restricted area. After reunification (1989/1990), the Berliners quickly took possession of the fallow site and thus ensured that the former wall strip later became a public green space.
      Via the Schwedter Steg (a bridge for pedestrians and cyclists) we come to the Bösebrücke and Bornholmer Straße, which played a decisive role in the division of Berlin. The border crossing from West to East Berlin was the first border crossing in Berlin that opened its barriers after the press conference on November 9, 1989 and allowed thousands of GDR citizens to walk into the West without control.
      The section from Bornholmer Strasse to Wollankstrasse is particularly beautiful in spring when the cherry trees bloom to the right and left of the path. Behind the S-Bahn station Wollankstraße it is quieter, the flow of traffic is less and nature is greener. Up to the street at the Nordgraben we move almost exclusively on wide bike and footpaths in the green belt. But also in the further course up to the Wilhelmsruher Damm you can cycle and hike well.Before crossing the dam you should look at a small (unusual) monument that is hidden behind trees. It is an object (Berlin Bird) by the Scottish artist George Wyllie, who commissioned this work of art in 1988 in cooperation with the youth art school ATRIUM. The action was watched by the then border guards of the GDR at their “state border” with a throaty eye when a steel bird looked over the wall.It gets more and more rural, with hilly sections, until we have reached the smallest Berlin village, Lübars. However, the last few meters to the center of town, with the old village church and the huge erratic boulder found in a field near Lübars in 1956, the cyclists have to drive over bumpy cobblestones. Buses 222 and S 26 on Wilhelmsruher Damm offer connections back to the center. Text and photos: Klaus Tolkmitt

      translated byView Original
      • May 19, 2020

  3. Klaus went for a bike ride.

    April 27, 2020

    01:16
    12.7 mi
    10.0 mph
    200 ft
    200 ft
    Karin Curth, Gabi and 2 others like this.
    1. Gabi

      Hope that we can do a bike tour together again soon.

      translated byView Original
      • May 1, 2020

  4. Klaus went for a hike.

    April 24, 2020

    06:18
    15.2 mi
    2.4 mph
    200 ft
    225 ft
    Paul, Karen 🥾🚴‍♀️⛷️⛵ and 3 others like this.
  5. Klaus went for a hike.

    April 22, 2020

    00:46
    6.10 mi
    8.0 mph
    100 ft
    100 ft
  6. Klaus went for a bike ride.

    March 5, 2020

    01:00
    7.88 mi
    7.9 mph
    50 ft
    75 ft
    Gabi and Anette like this.
  7. Klaus went for a bike ride.

    January 24, 2020

    01:33
    16.6 mi
    10.7 mph
    100 ft
    125 ft
    1. Klaus

      The "heavy load body" was a preparation for "Germania"
      Hitler wanted to build a huge triumphal arch in Tempelhof
      In connection with the planned redesign of Berlin to the capital "Germania" 1937-1943 engineers examined the load-bearing capacity of the Berlin building ground. Under the direction of the general building inspector Albert Speer, the architect Adolf Hitler, a gigantic project was planned, which was to completely redesign Berlin. According to Hitler's imagination, two magistrates would have cut through the new "world capital" like a cross. The greatest attention was paid to the north-south axis with its 7 km long and 120 m wide boulevard. At the end, a huge triumphal arch was planned that would have blown up all of Berlin's structural dimensions. The Second World War put an end to the inhumane urban planning of the National Socialists.The “heavy load body” on General-Pape-Straße in the Schöneberg-Tempelhof district is still testament to the most insane building projects that Berlin has ever had.
      The round block is a cylindrical pressure body made of solid concrete and reinforced concrete and has a diameter of 21 meters. It reaches 14 meters in height and 18 meters in depth. The 12,650-ton building is probably a project that is unique in the world. The purpose of the construction was to test the load-bearing capacity of the foundation for the triumphal arch.
      Since 1995, the unique and originally only 20-week engineering structure has been listed. In September 2009, the "Information Center for Heavy Loads" was opened. This is now the opportunity to understand and discuss the inhumane and urban despising dimension of National Socialist urban development. Text and photos: Klaus Tolkmitt
      Visitor information: Open from April 1 to October 31, General-Pape-Strasse 100, Tor 1, 12101 Berlin, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 6 p.m.
      Link: schwerlastungskoerper.de/Informationsort.html

      translated byView Original
      • March 28, 2020

  8. Klaus went for a hike.

    December 9, 2019

    00:49
    1.99 mi
    2.4 mph
    25 ft
    25 ft
    Hendrik likes this.
    1. Klaus

      Ein Bummel durch die Hinterhöfe
      Eine Tour durch das historische Berlin
      Ein Spaziergang durch Alt-Berlin ist nicht nur ein Spaziergang durch die Geschichte sondern auch durch ein Stück unbekanntes Berlin, mit all seinen Hinterhöfen und versteckten Geheimnissen.
      Die Tour beginnt am S-Bahnhof Oranienburger Straße und endet am Roten Rathaus. Verlassen wir den Bahnhof an der Ecke Tucholskystraße stehen wir direkt vor dem ehemaligen kaiserlichen Postfuhramt. Es wurde 1881 fertiggestellt und war seinerzeit eines der größten Behördenbauwerke in Berlin. Die Architektur orientiert sich an Vorbildern der italienischen Renaissance. Seit 1975 steht es unter Denkmalschutz. meinberlin-erleben.de/daskaiserlichepostfuhramt.html . Nur wenige Meter weiter, gegenüber auf der Oranienburger Straße 67, wohnte von 1842 bis zu seinem Tode 1859 Alexander von Humboldt. Eine Gedenktafel erinnert an den Naturforscher und letzten Universalgelehrten, der als Weltreisender und Wissenschaftler, die Ozeanografie, Pflanzengeografie und Ökologie erkundet hat.
      Wir folgen der Oranienburger Straße Richtung Süd-Osten, vorbei an der Synagoge und dem ehemaligen Haupttelegrafenamt bis zur Höhe Oranienburger Straße 19. Dort ist ein Durchgang zum Krausnickpark. Dieses idyllische Kleinod wird überwiegend von den umliegenden Anwohnern genutzt und hat eine bewegte Vergangenheit. Eine Infotafel erzählt die Geschichte. Wir verlassen den Park und könnten gegenüber in den Monbijoupark wechseln, der ebenso Interessantes zu bieten hat, doch wir folgen weiter der Oranienburger Straße und biegen links in die Große Hamburger Straße ein. Hier im historischen Viertel der „Spandauer Vorstadt“ befindet sich der alte Jüdische Friedhof mit dem Memoral Jewish Cemetery. Neben dem Eingang zum Friedhof ist an einer Hauswand die Friedensmauer. Sie ist Teil des Young Minds Build Bridges Programms von CITY-arts. Jugendliche aus aller Welt wollen mit kreativer Kunst die Welt friedlicher machen. Nach London, New York und anderen Städten haben 2013 auch Kinder und Jugendliche aus 12 Berliner Schulen an dieser Friedenswand mitgewirkt. meinberlin-erleben.blogspot.com/2020/01/die-berliner-friedensmauer.html
      Das Haus Nummer 19 A in der Großen Hamburger Straße ist das älteste Haus in der Spandauer Vorstadt und gehört damit auch zu den ältesten Berliner Häusern. Gleich nebenan stehen wir vor dem „Magicum“ und können uns auf eine interaktive Reise durch die faszinierende Welt der Magie begeben. Ein paar Schritte weiter kommen wir durch eine schmale Gasse zur Sophienkirche. meinberlin-erleben.blogspot.com/2020/01/martin-luther-king-predigte-in-der.html Sie wurde nach Plänen des Baumeisters Philipp Gerlach 1713 als evangelische Kirche erbaut. Die Grundsteinlegung für den Saalbau der vormals „Spandauischen Kirche“ fiel noch in die Regierungszeit König Friedrichs I. von Preußen. Erst unter König Friedrich II wurde sie nach Sophie Luise von Mecklenburg-Schwerin benannt und heißt seitdem „Sophienkirche“. Der 70 Meter hohe barocke Turm entstand 1732 auf Veranlassung König Friedrich Wilhelms.
      Prominenten Besuch erhielt die Pfarrgemeinde im September 1964, als der US-amerikanische Menschenrechtler und Baptistenprediger Martin Luther King bei einem Besuch in West-Berlin darauf bestand, auch im Ostteil der Stadt eine Predigt halten zu wollen.
      An der Große Hamburger Straße 9 ist der Eingang zum Alexianer St. Hedwig-Krankenhaus, das älteste katholische Krankenhaus Berlins. Das Haupthaus ist ein dreigeschossiger Winkelbau mit verblendeter Klinkerfassade und ist im strengen neogotischen Stil gehalten.
      Nun wird es Zeit für eine Rast im Sophieneck. In gemütlicher, ungezwungener Atmosphäre gibt es hier Berliner Hausmannskost. Danach tauchen wir ein in die schmale, lange Sophienstraße mit ihren wunderschönen Hinterhöfen. Man sollte aber genau hinschauen, denn nicht alle Tore sind geöffnet und geben gleich den Blick frei in das „Innenleben“ der Häuser. Neben den Sophie-Gips-Höfen (Nummer 21) mit unterschiedlichen Galerien und einem Café, sowie den Sophien-Höfen in Nummer 19, sollte man durch den wunderschönen Torbogen (Nummer 18) den Hinterhof betreten. Hier ist in den Sophiensälen ein freies Mehrspartentheater im ehemaligem Handwerkervereinshaus untergebracht. Wiederum nur ein paar Meter weiter geht es rechts in die Hackeschen Höfe, die sich bis zur Rosenthaler Straße über 8 Höfe ausdehnen und 1993 saniert wurden. Neben Galerien und Restaurants, sind die Clubs in den Höfen beliebter Treffpunkt für Szenegänger. An der Rosenthaler Straße verlassen wir die Höfe und schlendern über den Hackeschen Markt, vorbei am S-Bahnhof zur Burgstraße, um dort an die Spree zu kommen. Mit Blick auf den Dom und vorbei an zahlreichen Cafés und Restaurants, überqueren wir die Karl-Liebknecht-Straße und tauchen ein in den kleinen Park mit dem Marx-Engels-Denkmal. Mit Blick auf das neue Humboldt-Forum erreichen wir die Rathausstraße. Wir bleiben am Spreeufer und stehen schon bald im denkmalgeschützten Nikolaiviertel mit historisch, rekonstruierten Häusern aus dem 16. bis 18. Jahrhundert. Das älteste Siedlungsgebiet der Hauptstadt wurde im Zweiten Weltkrieg fast vollständig zerstört und 1980–1987 anlässlich der 750-Jahr-Feier der Stadt wiederaufgebaut. Das Viertel ist geradezu ein Freilichtmuseum mit sehenswerten Häusern, wie dem Ephraim-Palais, den Gasthof Zum Nussbaum, das Wohnhaus von Gotthold Ephraim Lessing und das Knoblauchhaus, in dem sich eine Ausstellung über die Zeit des Biedermeier und die einflussreiche Familie Knoblauch befindet. Im Mittelpunkt des Quartiers steht aber die Nikolaikirche, das älteste erhaltene Bauwerk Berlins. Der Bau des Gotteshauses begann um 1230, im 15. Jahrhundert erhielt es seine heutige Gestalt. Nach einem Bummel durch das beliebte Viertel erreichen wir über die Spandauer Straße das Rote Rathaus, dem Sitz des Berliner Senats und des Regierenden Bürgermeisters. Das 99 × 88 m große Gebäude steht zwischen der Rathaus-, Jüden- und Spandauer Straße. Es beeindruckt durch seinen ungewöhnlichen Stil und seine leuchtend-rote Backstein-Fassade. Das Gebäude ist im Stil der italienischen Frührenaissance mit Elementen normannischer Architektur errichtet. Der Turm ist ein Abbild der Kathedrale von Laon in Frankreich und steht wie die gesamte Anlage seit 1979 unter Denkmalschutz. Im Jahr 1879 wurden die Balkonbrüstungen des ersten Stockwerks mit Terrakotta-Reliefs geschmückt, die das Rathaus als Fries umgeben und die Geschichte Berlins vom 12. bis zum 19. Jahrhundert dokumentieren. Im Inneren befindet sich im Säulensaal eine außergewöhnliche Auswahl von Gipswerken Berliner Bildhauer aus den Jahren 1790 bis 1850. Für „Berlin in Gips“ haben die Staatlichen Museen zu Berlin – Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz, die Alte Nationalgalerie, die Skulpturensammlung und die Gipsformerei einzigartige Werke zur Verfügung gestellt, die in einer Dauerausstellung montags bis freitags von 9 bis 18 Uhr zu sehen sind. meinberlin-erleben.de/berliner-geschichte/das-rote-rathaus.html . Nach zirka 4 Kilometern soll am Rathaus die Tour durch das alte Berlin beendet werden, allerdings mit dem Hinweis, dass hier eine neue Tour starten kann, die nicht weniger interessant durch das historische Berlin geht. Text und Fotos: Klaus Tolkmitt

      • February 11, 2020

  9. Klaus went for a bike ride.

    October 22, 2019

    02:02
    20.4 mi
    10.0 mph
    375 ft
    350 ft
    Hendrik likes this.
    1. Klaus

      Berlin has 20 green main trails where you can hike, bike, or just go for a walk. The path network through the green corridors of the city covers more than 550 kilometers, on which one avoids as far as possible from the flowing traffic and no longer perceives the noise of a city as annoying. The trail 2 runs in a north-south direction and starts the Havel in the north of Spandau.
      The trail runs mostly on the Berlin Wall Trail through the Spandau Forest and is relatively well signposted. Past the beautiful Specktesee and after crossing the army road, you will reach the idyllic area around Fort Hahneberg. At Gatow you come back to the Havel. About Kladow (with the ferry pier to Wannsee) is soon reached the border with Brandenburg and thus the end of the trail.

      translated byView Original
      • November 14, 2019

  10. Gabi and Klaus went for a hike.

    October 6, 2019

    00:42
    1.85 mi
    2.7 mph
    0 ft
    50 ft
    Klaus likes this.
  11. loading