Lidellplatz was built at the end of the 18th century and initially bore the name Spitalplatz.
1788 was on the east side of the square a hospital (hospital). In order to enable the poor population to stay in hospital, the Chamber Councilor Christoph Friedrich Lidell founded a foundation in 1792, after which the place has been named since 1892 and the Lidell monument on the square commemorates him. The hospital was demolished in 1912 and a trade school was built.Until the year 1815, the moat was open to this place, because it also served as a transport route for the stone palace building.In 1879, the "Daughters' School" was built in the northwest of the square, today the Hans Thoma School. In addition, there are the Gewerbeschule Carl-Hofer-Schule and the Heinrich-Hübsch-Schule.On February 16, 1826, the poet Joseph Victor von Scheffel was born at Haus Steinstraße 25 on Lidellplatz.The striking building on the corner of Eagle Street / Markgrafenstraße has its name Zum kleine Ketterer since 1926 and received its guests before as "King of Prussia".The barrier that seals the Lidellplatz in the evening and on the weekend against the Markgrafenstraße, dates back to the mid-1980s and to prevent the ring traffic of suitors, because on the phone booths on the square there was street prostitution.Since 1987, there is the Gewerbehof, the various service providers and the Café Palaver in the backyard of the Wilhelminian style building Steinstraße 23 united.For the city birthday 2006 the place was redeveloped and the playground redesigned. In order to illustrate the neighborly commitment of the residents was also in 2006 a street sign "Quartier Lidell" attached.The Lidellbrunnen was created 1872 to 1876 by the sculptor Hermann Volz. He is wearing a bust of Christoph Friedrich Lidell.(Https://ka.stadtwiki.net)
August 27, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!