Luisenstraße marks the northern end of the Wupper valley. All plots north of the road have a steep terrain rise of the Ölberg, which can be partially overcome only by stairs. The well-known staircase tap-tapping Tönchen is not far away. Today, the street is characterized by numerous gastronomic offers and craft shops in addition to its architecture.
July 29, 2017
Luisenstrasse is a city street in Wuppertal-Elberfeld and is known as the "Wuppertal Old Town". The district around the street is called the Luisenviertel.
Luisenstrasse was laid out by private individuals in the course of the expansion of Elberfeld towards the west at the beginning of the 19th century and opened in 1926. It leads in an east-west direction from near Neumarkt to Briller Straße and forms a parallel street offset to the north to Friedrich-Ebert-Straße (formerly Königsstraße), the main street of the district. The namesake was Luise of Prussia, who was living at the time of construction. With its name, Luisenstrasse was given an extremely popular street name at the time, but at the same time Luisenstrasse and Louisenstrasse and places were created in Berlin, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, Darmstadt and many other German cities.
Because of its - in contrast to the actual Elberfeld town center, the historical building fabric of which was largely destroyed by air raids - simple, classicist residential buildings and typically Bergisch shingle facades, the street and its surroundings have the impression of an old town. In addition, the St. Laurentius Church is on the street in front of Laurentiusplatz. Today, in addition to its architecture, the street is characterized by numerous gastronomic offers and handicraft shops.
Luisenstrasse marks the northern end of the valley floor of the Wupper. All plots north of the street show a steep slope of the Mount of Olives, which can partly only be overcome by stairs. The well-known tap-tap-tönchen staircase is also not far away.
June 18, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!