In the heart of the city, one suddenly encounters a mighty brick building. The "Bussenhaus" in Lüneburg was built in 1482/83. This armory with its massive walls was used to store and manufacture the numerous weapons and war equipment that the salt and Hanseatic city needed to protect its valuable merchandise bells were also cast, it came to the name "bell house". This impressive functional building measures a total of 13 m in width and 40 m in length. Three full floors and four attics were also used as grain and flour storage in times of peace. Today the bell house serves as an event and conference location.lueneburg.info/de/kultur/glockenhaus
January 16, 2020
The city used the bell house as a rifle house and for the storage of guns and all sorts of weapons. After more than 500 years, it is still a lively place in the middle of Lüneburg's city.In 1482, the city built on the foundations of an older building the same name (it is believed that bells were cast here) the bell house. It became the arsenal of the city, here stored the valuable equipment and weapons of the defense forces Lüneburg. In its function as an arsenal, it also bore the name "Bussenhus" for a time. But it also served as a warehouse for grain and flour for the winter months or in siege times.
The 40m long and 13m wide building was unusually large for the time. It has three full floors and four attics. Inside, the ceiling beams are supported by powerful stands and beams. In the courtyard of the bell house was the municipal building yard, where building materials were stored.
Not quite in the middle of the courtyard stands the "Luna Pillar", a work of art by the artist Erich Brüggemann from the year 1977.
On a gable, the city mark "Mons, Fons, Pons" is incorporated into the masonry.Sources:
February 24, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.