Burgtor

Hiking Highlight

Created by komoot users
Recommended by 114 out of 124 hikers

Tips

  • JR56

    Von den ursprünglich vier Lübecker Stadttoren sind nur noch das Holstentor und das Burgtor erhalten. Seine heutige Erscheinung geht auf eine spätgotische Überformung des im Kern noch vorhandenen romanischen Tores von 1444 zurück. Das Burgtor war der stadtseitige Teil einer nach außen hin gestaffelten Befestigungsanlage, zu der zwei weitere Tore gehörten. In einem Schaukasten vor dem Burgtor kann man diesen Aufbau betrachten.
    Das Burgtor trägt seinen Namen nach dem Standort der früheren Lübecker Burg, die bereits 1227 zum Burgkloster umgebaut wurde. Es markierte früher den einzigen Landzugang von Norden zur Lübecker Altstadtinsel. Bei den Bauarbeiten des 1900 eröffneten Elbe-Lübeck-Kanals wurde der Landzugang durchstochen, um die Kanal-Trave mit der Stadttrave zu verbinden, was erhebliche Erleichtungen für die Schifffahrt bedeutete. Den Durchstich überbrücken heute die Burgtorbrücke und etwas tiefer gelegen die Hubbrücken.
    Ursprünglich trug das fünfstöckige Burgtor ein hohes Spitzdach, welches 1685 durch einen barocken Turmhelm ersetzt wurde. Von der Feldseite aus kann man noch beeindruckende Teile der alten Stadtmauer erkennen zu der auch mehrere Türme rechts und links des Burgtores gehören.
    Von der Stadt aus gesehen unmittelbar rechts an das Tor grenzt das alte Zollhaus von 1577 an, das im letzten Jahrhundert zur Wohnstätte bekannter Lübecker Persönlichkeiten wurde. Zunächst erhielt die Schriftstellerin Ida Boy-Ed das Wohnrecht im Zollhaus, da sie sich um das kulturelle Leben in Lübeck sehr verdient gemacht hatte. Nach ihr bezog Museumsdirektor Carl Georg Heise die Wohnung. Ihm folgte die Kunstweberin Alen Müller-Hellwig. Heute lebt und arbeitet ihre Schülerin Ruth Löbe in den historischen Gemäuern, auch sie betreibt eine Handweberei.
    Links an das Burgtor grenzt der Marstall an, ein klassizistischer Bau von 1803. Dazu gehörte ein kleiner Gebäudekomplex um einen Innenhof, worin sich früher die Pferdeställe und der Fuhrpark des Lübecker Rates befanden. Später wurde der Marstall als Gefängnis genutzt. Seit 50 Jahren ist dort ein städtisches Jugendzentrum untergebracht.
    luebeck-info.com/sehenswuerdigkeiten/burgtor_mehr.html

    • April 3, 2019

  • Siegfried LG

    The Lübeck castle gate takes its name from the old Lübeck castle, high above the Trave, which was rebuilt into a castle monastery in 1227.

    As part of the former fortification of the Hanseatic city of Lübeck, this brick gate on the north side was supposed to protect against intruders and preserve the riches of the city. The castle gate is one of the goals, which is the only one of the three goals behind. Their models can today be viewed in small showcases at the former location.

    According to the plans of city architect Nicolas Peck, instead of a Romanesque gate, the present castle gate was completed in 1444, within a fortification. At the gate border a customs house and a stables in which at the time horses and their dishes found space.

    Through the change of time, the castle gate lost more and more importance as a fortification gate and was often on the verge of demolition. In the 19th century it was considered in Lübeck citizenship, demolish the castle gate, it should be created site. The proposal was finally rejected unanimously by the Lübeck citizenship and prevented so successfully the demolition of the city gate. Reason: One would destroy an ancient building; that was not sustainable.

    Instead, in order to do justice to the increasing volume of traffic over the years, it was decided to extend the passage through the castle gate.

    Source and more:
    luebeck.de/tourismus/sightseeing/sehenswuerdigkeiten/stadttore/burgtor.html

    translated byView Original
    • November 7, 2018

  • gheikamp

    A truly impressive museum worth a visit !!

    translated byView Original
    • March 3, 2019

  • Rosefahrer

    Not as famous as the Holstentor, but still impressive and worth seeing.

    translated byView Original
    • June 10, 2019

  • codo786

    The model of the middle castle gate is only one (No. 10) of the 12 point-in-time models, which were developed by the "Gesellschaft Weltkulturgut Hansestadt Lübeck. E.V." were made by unemployed young people as part of a labor market project.
    A map of the models can be found on the association's website: hanseschiff-luebeck.de/projekte/zeitpunkt/lageplan-der-modelle
    A flyer as a PDF can be found here: hanseschiff-luebeck.de/fileadmin/moderation/dokumente/flyer_zeitpunkte.pdf
    The models are in the original places of the buildings lost due to war or demolition.

    translated byView Original
    • February 23, 2020

  • R🅰️ndn🅾️tiz

    Here is the right pictured, the left was unfortunately covered by a construction vehicle during our visit. Completely different from the two before the Holstentor, these two are no less impressive and extremely realistic.

    translated byView Original
    • December 28, 2018

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

Best Hikes to Burgtor

Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.

Location: Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

Information

  • Elevation10 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Schleswig-Holstein