"The city hall of Lübeck is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful town halls in Germany." Guided tour of the city hall is a must during a visit to Lübeck!
From the year 1230, three gabled houses were built on the market, which were extended several times in the following centuries: the Hansesaal for meetings and the Danzelhus (dance hall) for social gatherings.
Inside, the magnificent Audience Hall awaits: Do not be surprised that the doors to this former courtroom are at different heights. Acquitted defendants were allowed to leave the hall through the high door, convicted defendants had stooped head to go through the low door. "Source: luebeck-tourismus.de/erkunden/sehenswuerdigkeiten/rathaus.html
November 25, 2016
The construction of the Lübeck town hall began in 1230, shortly after the awarding of the imperial freedom and over the years it was changed and expanded again and again. This explains the different architectural styles and parts. The completion took place in 1308. Even today, it fulfills its role as the seat of administration, venue of the citizenship and its committees and the Senate.With its large display wall, the small ornamental balconies and the three towers, the exterior of the town hall attracts everyone's attention. Inside, the different contemporary styles are combined.The Hanseatic Hall of the Lübeck City Hall, where the Hanseatic Days used to take place, was lost at the beginning of the 19th century due to renovations in the town hall.On the way to the Bürgerschaftssaal, above the staircase, there are three colossal paintings depicting the installation of the first Lübeck Council by Henry the Lion, the granting of the Barbarossa privilege in 1188, and the construction of the cathedral by Henry the Lion.luebeck.de/de/stadtleben/tourismus/luebeck/sehenswuerdigkeiten/rathaus.html
December 5, 2019
The "Long House" of the Lübeck town hall was built between 1298 and 1308 as an extension of the main house to accommodate the former banquet hall, later called the Löwensaal, on the upper floor. The east facade was re-veneered in 1875. Until 1868, the goldsmiths' stalls were located under the arcades.
(Source: information board on the building)
February 23, 2020
The town hall of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck - the fate of the city has been controlled from here for almost 800 years. It is not only the seat of the administration but also the meeting place of the citizenship and its committees as well as the Senate. You can regularly experience pure democracy here in public meetings - guests are very welcome!luebeck.de/de/rathaus/index.html
June 13, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.