After Zittau had been almost completely destroyed in the Seven Years War by the Austrian army, the citizens began in the late 18th century with the reconstruction. Construction of the New Town Hall began in 1840. Just five years later, the impressive building, which was based on building plans by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, was completed and opened.
January 18, 2018
The town hall was built in the years 1840-1845 Neo-Renaissance style, integrating the rest of the town hall, destroyed in 1757. At the main entrance are two oversized figures, once the Sophia (goddess of wisdom) and right Themis (goddess of justice). Striking is the standing on the left side of the town hall tower with a height of 50 m.
August 20, 2019
The dominant building in the city center is the town hall, built between 1840 and 1845 by the city architect Schramm according to Schinkel's plans. It is similar in style to an Italian “Palazzo grande” from the Renaissance period, but also has classical elements. The sandstone figures on the portal show Themis as a symbol of justice and Sophia as a symbol of wisdom and come from the Dresden sculptor Beyer.zittau.de/en/node/700
August 29, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!