The oldest secular building in Zittau rises mightily on an elongated square lined with Renaissance and Baroque houses. The unadorned, neatly plastered functional building has 340 windows and has a lot to tell about the history of the Upper Lusatian town. The precious salt, the "white gold", which was subject to high taxes and duties, was once stored here. It was not only needed to flavor hearty dishes, but also as a preservative. In 1572 the solid structure of the salt house was erected in place of a salt chamber that was attested as early as 1389. As the former horse stable on the ground floor shows, it also served as a stables. Today the rustic inn "Zum alten Sack" resides there in historical vaults. Public offices and a library have moved into the five attic floors under the enormous mansard roof. The acute danger of collapse, which threatened the building after years of vacancy through penetrating moisture, dry rot and cracking, has been averted - as has the threatened conversion to a parking garage. The "old smithy" built in 1713 in front of the north facade of the salt house has also been carefully renovated.denkmalschutz.de/denkmal/Salzhaus.html
August 29, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.