The Bamberg Prince-Bishop Marquard Sebastian von Staufenberg had it built in 1689 as the official castle for the episcopal upper office Baunach. His coat of arms can be found on the north side. His successor Lothar Franz von Schönborn completed the work. Its coat of arms hangs over the entrance gate. The prince-bishops now came regularly to hunt in the game-rich Baunachtal and lived here in the castle, so it was called by the people also "hunting lodge". In 1802 the upper office Baunach was dissolved. From 1838 to 1932, the building housed the district court and later the district court. Subsequently, the clothing company STRIWA mainly made leather clothing, coats and pants in this building. In 1982 the company was closed. In 2009, the castle was rebuilt into a retirement home.
Source: Hist. Tour Baunach
April 15, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.