Thurnau Castle is a castle and palace complex in Thurnau (district Kulmbach) in Upper Franconia. It is one of the largest and most important castle complexes in northern Bavaria with construction sections from the 13th to the 19th century.
The oldest part of the castle is the Kemenate, the "Hus uf the stone", from the 13th century. It was built by the Knights of Förtsch. Between 1430 and 1477 the archive building and a residential area were added. In 1581, Hans Georg von Giech had Hans Schlachter cultivate the prayer bank on the Kemenate and between 1600 and 1606 he built the Hans-Georgen-Bau in renaissance forms.
Numerous were the changes after obtaining the earldom in 1695: Karl Gottfried I von Giech had set up a prestigious stuccoed hall on the upper floor of the Hans Georgen building and the new church with the magnificent manor loft was built from 1701 to 1706.
Between 1729 and 1731 the Carl Maximilian building was added in the upper yard. Inside, there is the so-called Schönburgsche Saal with landscape wallpaper from the end of the 18th century, which Christian Carl Ernst Heinrich von Giech had set up for his wife Caroline von Schönburg-Wechselburg from Saxony.
In 1833 the gatehouse burned down and was rebuilt in neo-gothic forms until 1837. At the end of the 1830s, Hermann Giech set up an archive hall at the Lower Court and the Ahnensaal in the Hans-Georgen-Bau. Around 1840, the tea house was built in the castle garden. In the 1850s, the transition to the church, which had previously been a simple wooden passage, also decorated neo-Gothic and provided with larger windows.
September 21, 2018
According to Wikipedia, Schloss Thurnau is "one of the largest and most important palace complexes in northern Bavaria". The fortified complex was created in several phases. The oldest part is - after Georg Dehio - the northern part of the Kemenate (1240), which belongs to the (older) lower castle (further extension 16th - 17th century - Fig. 4/5/6).
The (younger) upper castle is in the 17th. From the 18th to the 18th century (Fig. 3); However, you can also find there neo-Gothic parts. Schloss Thurnau had a remarkable collection of books and natural history; Also known and loved was the castle garden with its lime tree avenue, which once inspired Jean Paul. Unfortunately, these treasures are now sold, destroyed or no longer accessible!
From the castle, a wooden connecting gallery, built around 1800, leads directly into the late-Gothic chapel tower church of St. Lawrence. (Fig. 8/9). The nave of the church was the beginning of d. 18th century renewed; The spire was set up at the end of the 19th century. In the choir are the - created at the end of the 16th century - grave monuments to Hans Georg von Giech u. His wife and Wolf Förtsch (Fig. 15).
Sources: G. Dehio, Handbuch der Deutschen Kunstdenkmäler, Munich 1979, p. v. "Thurnau" / Wikipedia s. v. "Castle Thurnau".
Further information: thurnau.de/home
July 9, 2016
Schloss Thurnau is a hotel. The restaurant in the saddlery is the center of the castle. Here you can book for family celebrations (wedding / communion / confirmation / baptism / birthday). A candlelight dinner takes place on Fridays and a gourmet buffet on Sundays.
Historical city tour with castle project: Booking at: schloss-Thurnau.de
February 23, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.