"No, the Meßberghof is not as spectacular as the architecture of the neighboring Chile House, it is where traditionally the Vierländer Gemüsebauern marketed their wares for decades .. The Meßberghof was built as Ballinhaus according to the plans of Hans and Oskar Gerson The renaming took place because the "brown gentlemen" a name after a successful Jewish shipowner like Albert Ballin was a thorn in the eye.It should be noted that Ballin had made HAPAG the world's largest shipping company.But even this merit counted nothing with the Nazis. At the behest of the Gauleiter Karl Kaufmann the Ballinhaus was called from 1938 Meßberghof.This office building is a multi-storey reinforced concrete building with prefabricated clinker facade and flat hipped roof.The Bauplastik the facade comes from Lothar Fischer, who created eight figures between 1996 and 1997, the Replace lost original building hardware.In the Meßberghof the company Tesch & Stabenow once had its headquarters. This company is known to be the supplier of the highly toxic Zyklon B, which was used to kill camp inmates in concentration camps such as Majdanek, Sachsenhausen or Stutthof. The owner and chemist Bruno Tesch was sentenced in 1946 as a war criminal and executed. "In 1997, after a long dispute over the text and possible locations, a commemorative plaque was clearly visible from the outside.Sources:
The current Messberghof was built as Ballinhaus, named after the Hamburg shipowner Albert Ballin. Built in the early 1920s, it forms the southern boundary of the Kontorhausviertel, which was recently included in the list of World Heritage Sites, and is located in the immediate vicinity of the Chilehaus and the Sprinkenhof.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!