Bike Touring Highlight
Vondern Castle was first mentioned in 1266. A support association takes care of the preservation of the castle, as well as regular events such as concerts or jousting games. The castle can also be rented for your own events.
The ensemble consists of a manor house and an outer bailey, as well as a rebuilt stable building. Only remnants can be seen of the former ramparts and moats.
Source and more info:
April 9, 2018
The castle was the fief of the Counts and Dukes of Kleve and was first mentioned in the 13th century. Today, the support association Burg Vondern takes care of the maintenance of the listed buildings
The name of the facility comes from the Middle High German word "vonder", which designates a narrow footbridge over a body of water.
July 25, 2019
The castle name Vondern comes from the Middle High German "vonder" or "funder", which means "narrow footbridge over a watercourse". The castle once served as a noble and rural residence of the Lords of Vonderen, whose family was first mentioned in a document with Gerhard von Vonderen in 1266. In 1401, in the course of a division of Dietrich's inheritance from Vonderen, there was talk of a “Vondern house”. The property was divided among his daughters Bate and Vredune and shortly afterwards went to Mr. Loe.
After a series of feudal riders, the castle came into the hands of the Prussian state from the possession of Count Droste zu Vischering in 1937 and finally went to the city of Oberhausen in 1947. The castle was founded in 1984 as a self-governing civic center under the aegis of the Burg Vondern e. V. handed over. Since 1985 it has been on the list of monuments in the city of Oberhausen.
September 20, 2019
Vondern Castle is in the Vonderort district of the North Rhine-Westphalian city of Oberhausen. It was a fiefdom of the Counts and Dukes of Kleve and was first mentioned in a document in the 13th century. Today owned by the city of Oberhausen, the Vondern Castle Association has been taking care of the preservation of the historic buildings, which were placed under monument protection in 1987, since 1982.
The name of the facility comes from the Middle High German expression "vonder" (also "funder"), which describes a narrow footbridge over a watercourse.
The mansion houses exhibition rooms and venues where concerts are regularly held. Weddings of the city of Oberhausen take place on the upper floor.
A small museum has been set up in the outer bailey, showing exhibits that were found during archaeological excavations in the vicinity of the castle.
In addition, Vondern Castle is the venue for a medieval market and jousting games every August.
The former stable building has been bricked up again since 2006 and there are now two floors with rentable rooms available for seminars.
November 7, 2020
The castle name Vondern comes from the Middle High German “vonder” or “funder”, which means “narrow bridge over a watercourse”. The castle once served as the noble and rural residence of the Lords of Vonderen, whose family Gerhard von Vonderen was first mentioned in 1266. A "House Vondern" is mentioned for the first time in 1401 in the course of an inheritance from Dietrich von Vonderen. The property was divided between his daughters Bate and Vredune and shortly afterwards passed to Messrs. Loe through marriage.
After a series of leaning-dependent riders, the castle passed from the possession of Count Droste zu Vischering into the property of the Prussian state in 1937 and finally passed to the city of Oberhausen in 1947. In 1984 the castle became a self-governing community center and was sponsored by the Förderkreis Burg Vondern e. V. handed over. It has been on the list of monuments of the city of Oberhausen since 1985.
September 20, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.