Classicist auditorium on Wilhelmsplatz built between 1835 and 1837. Donated by Wilhelm IV on the 100th birthday of Georgia-Augusta.
With the large ballroom, it is still a central building of the university today. The impressive gable roof, created by Ernst von Bandel, represents the four faculties of theology, law, medicine and philosophy.
The Karzer, the historic university prison, is located in the building, with the Wilhelm IV monument in front of it.The auditorium building with the detention center can be visited as part of a tour of the tourist information office.
July 16, 2021
The Georg August University in Göttingen was founded in 1732/1734 by Georg II under the direction of Gerlach Adolph von Münchhausen and opened in 1737. The university developed rapidly and, with almost 1,000 students, was one of the larger in Europe at the time
August 18, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!