The Barfüsserkirche belonged to their destruction by a bombing raid in 1944 to the most important church buildings in Erfurt and to the most beautiful mendicant churches in Germany. It was built in the 14th century as a Franciscan monastery church, which was also called Barfüßer, and stands in the city center west of the castle bridge on the right bank of the Breitstroms, a tributary of the Gera.
The ruins of the Barfüßerkirche, which was destroyed in 1944, remind us that Erfurt was not spared from World War II. The reconstructed choir now houses the Museum of Medieval Art. The monastery buildings of this since 1224 existing branch of the Franciscans have been broken off in the 30 -year war for the extraction of building materials.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!