The castle was built in 1749 by Margrave Karl Friedrich von Baden as a pleasure house or hunting lodge. The name goes back to the margravial stud founded in 1652, which was created not far from fish ponds that Margrave Karl II had created around 1550/60. A considerable expansion of the stables took place from 1669 after the Staffort Castle, which was blown up by Melac's troops, was cleared for demolition and the stones from the ruins were used as building material.
Today there is a youth facility of the district of Karlsruhe near the castle. In the summer of 2004, 50% of the castle was owned by the Karlsruhe district and the Rhein-Neckar district. The Karlsruhe district is now the sole sponsor of the Schloss Stutensee gGmbH youth facility.
February 9, 2021
In the meantime you can walk through the castle grounds again, only an inside tour is not possible, as the buildings are used as a youth welfare facility. The collection of the old paving stones and the over 300 year old trees on the castle grounds (natural monuments) are worth seeing.
June 4, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!