At the beginning of the 19th century, the city fortifications of earlier centuries were removed. The areas now available were redesigned into spacious green spaces from which the popular Hamburg park, Planten un Blomen, emerged.The park, which is surrounded by large streets and representative administrative buildings from the 19th and early 20th centuries, is located on the northwestern edge of Hamburg's city center and is today mainly characterized by post-war garden shows (1953, 63 and 73).The landscape architecture that was typical at the time is particularly evident in the small ramparts: in addition to a variety of water features, natural stone walls and terraces alternate with the generous water courses. In some areas, former national gardens have been preserved and restored (e.g. the Moroccan Garden).landschaftsarchitektur-heute.de/themen/gartenarchitektur-der-moderne/details/2104
February 18, 2020
The Hamburg ramparts were fortifications that were built around Hamburg from 1616 to 1625 under the direction of Johan van Valckenburgh.
Between 1679 and 1682, the so-called “New Plant” to protect the eastern suburb of St. Georg and the Sternschanze in the north-west were added. After the end of the French occupation in 1814, the fortress structures were demolished and ramparts and ditches were converted into green spaces.
While the eastern part later had to give way to the construction of the Hamburger Kunsthalle and Hamburg Central Station, the western section between Dammtor and Stintfang has been preserved as part of the Planten un Blomen park and the old Elbpark.
The former Wallring is also clearly recognizable by the streets around the city center (Ring 1).(Source: Wikipedia)
February 14, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!