The Heilingskirche was probably built between 1433 and 1469. Today only the western gable front stands impressively on the hill. The former stately church was heavily visited by pilgrims before and supposedly also after the Reformation. The church fell into disrepair after the Reformation and was demolished in 1564. The Wirsbergers built their first school house from these stones.
March 22, 2019
Of the built in the 15th century Heilingskirche stands only the western gable front. The pilgrimage church was consecrated to the "Three Maries", Maria Jacobi (Cleophas), Maria Salome and Maria Magdalena.
The Ruinenkirche shows that it does not require any magnificent buildings to be a sacred place. It is the honest charisma together with very simple symbols of the faith that show the visitor the peculiarity of the place. This very simple decor of the former pilgrimage church with its remains of ruins, reduces a church visit to the most important, namely the faith - not distracted by gold and pompous symbolism. And the steady wind reminds one of the bond with nature, the overwhelming work of God.
An impressively powerful place of peace and quiet!
June 21, 2015
The ruins of Heilingskirche, a unique relic from the 15th century. Very interesting, plus the information board with the entire history. I just thought it was a shame, the remains of the recent tree felling auction are in front of the ruin, tree trunks, branches, everything that comes up. You could also deposit on the nearby edge of the forest. The beautiful green tree in earlier pictures no longer exists.
April 7, 2020
The Heilingskirche ruin, also a pilgrimage church to the three saints Mary, is a listed former pilgrimage church in Markt Wirsberg in Upper Franconia.The remains of the church are located near the St. Leonards Church, which has also been abandoned, southeast of the Neufang district. The preserved gable front contains the entrance portal and a slotted window.The construction of the church is dated to the 13th or 14th century, it was first mentioned in a document from 1469. In the course of the Reformation, Margrave Georg had valuable objects in the churches, including the Heilingskirche, inventoried in 1528. During this time the church deteriorated. From 1564, the mayor and council of Wirsberg had permission to remove stones from the church and use them to build a new schoolhouse. Research there also found walled-up parts of the Gethsemane group. Stones were also used in other buildings.There are several legends about the church. They are about treasures that lie in underground vaults and passages under the church. There is repeated mention of twelve gold apostle figures. Another wreath of legends deals with the injustice of using the bricks for other building projects, for example the builders were not very happy with their new buildings or the stones were ghostly returned to their original place in the church.At a short distance in the direction of Wirsberg there are remains of the foundation wall of the abandoned Leonhard Church. Source: Wikipedia
March 21, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!