The Triptis – Marxgrün line is a branch line in Thuringia and Bavaria, which was originally built and operated by the Prussian State Railways. It leads from Triptis via Ziegenrück, Bad Lobenstein and Blankenstein to Marxgrün. Only the section Ebersdorf-Friesau-Unterlemnitz-Lobenstein-Blankenstein in Thuringia is still in operation. The northern section is known as the Thuringian Oberlandbahn, the southern section as the Höllentalbahn in the Franconian Forest.
After Thuringia was occupied by the Red Army in June 1945, the Bavarian-Thuringian border became the demarcation line between the American and Soviet-occupied zones of Germany. Train traffic across the border was therefore stopped on June 3, 1945. The borders of the railway directorates were later adjusted to the national borders.
January 14, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!