The heart of the city is the Piazza dell'Unità d'Italia ("Place of the Unity of Italy"). This rectangular main square adjoining the sea is framed on three sides by magnificent Neo-Classical buildings: the Palazzo del Governo (1904), the Casa Stratti, the Palazzo del Municipio (built by Giuseppe Bruni in 1875), the Palazzo Pitteri (1790), the hotel Duchi d'Aosta (1873) and the Palazzo del Lloyd Triestino (built by Heinrich von Ferstel 1883). In the middle of the square is a fountain, which was built in 1750 by Mazzoleni and represents the then known four continents. Next to it rises a column of Emperor Charles VI, whose left hand points to the harbor. Charles VI. With the creation of the free port, it had promoted the economic development of the city in the 18th century.
The Palazzo Pitteri (built by Ulderico Moro in 1790), the Fountain (1750) and the Column (1728) are the only reminiscences of the 18th century, forming a "Baroque corner" on the square. The center of the city - around today's Piazza dell'Unità d'Italia - was completely redesigned around 1900.
July 30, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!