Built around 1200 as a Staufer castle, Burg Zavelstein was acquired in 1616 by Benjamin Buwinghausen von Wallmerode. The ducal master builder Heinrich Schickhardt converted the castle into a late Renaissance castle until 1630. French troops destroyed the castle and city in 1692 in the Franco-Palatinate War of Succession. While the houses were rebuilt from 1697, the castle has remained a ruin to this day.
The ruin is accessible all year round. The 28 m high tower of the castle ruins offers a wonderful panoramic view to the Swabian Jura. You can climb the tower daily in the summer between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. and in winter from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Restrictions are possible during the winter months (Advent season). For more information on guided tours of Zavelstein and the castle ruins, visit the Teinachtal Touristik in Bad Teinach, Tel. 07053 9205040.
January 1, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.