The first written mention of Reifferscheid dates back to 1106. This year, the Duke of Niederlothringen destroyed in the context of the clashes between Emperor Henry IV and King Henry V his castle in Reifferscheid.
Since 1195 the rule of the noble family Reifferscheid is mentioned in the documents, their possessions are considered as independent territory. The Lords of Reifferscheid build their power in the Lower Rhine area and have considerable political influence in the state and in the church. Although the castle is considered very fortified, French troops of Louis XIV burn down large parts of the castle and the village again and destroy the city wall. After the reconstruction in the Baroque style, the seat of power expires after the expropriation by the French in 1805 final. The castle ruins became in 1965 in the possession of the community Hellenthal.
The current townscape shows the mighty keep and the castle ruins as well as the late Gothic church of St. Matthias, which was once dedicated to the Holy Cross.
November 8, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!