The castle Karlsfried was built in 1357 by order of the Emperor Charles IV by Burgrave Ulrich Tista von Liebstein. It was not intended as a residence, but served only as a fortified customs station on a trade route (Gabler Reichsstraße) between the Bohemian heartland and Upper Lusatia. Here customs was collected; In addition, the castle offered traders accommodation and escort. In 1364 Zittau became tenant of the castle for 300 Schock Prager groschen.
In 1412, governor Hinko Berka of Dubá took over the castle.
In 1421 the castle withstood a siege by the Hussites, but was burned down in January 1424 during a second siege. Then the castle was rebuilt once under Emperor Sigismund. Their new owner Jan von Wartenberg took raids into the area from there. To prevent this, the city of Zittau bought the castle in 1442 and had it demolished. Many of their debris were carried away and in the area as a cheap tree
September 18, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!