The Protestant Liebfrauenkirche in Halberstadt is one of the most important church buildings on the Romanesque Road. The late Romanesque church is located at the western end of the Halberstadt cathedral square.
The Liebfrauenkirche was built in the second half of the 12th century on the foundations of a predecessor building about 150 years older. It is today the only four-towered Romanesque pillar basilica in central Germany.
The Liebfrauenkirche at the northwestern tower and the eastern part of the building were severely damaged by bombing on April 8, 1945. However, the affected parts of the building could be faithfully restored in the post-war years.
A special feature of this church building is the permanent architecture exhibition in the cloister directly adjoining the building. Also worth seeing are the late Romanesque choir gates with their almost life-sized stucco figures depicting the 12 apostles, Mary and Christ. Other attractions in the Church of Our Lady are the Triumph Cross and the valuable cultural murals in Kreuzgratgewölbe.
Visits to this impressive Romanesque church are possible as part of a guided tour.
October 14, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.