In 1351, the "Old School" was first mentioned in the city book of the Hanseatic city of Wismar. It is an elongated building divided in the middle by a firewall. Each of the two halves was divided by half-timbered walls into three equal-sized classrooms. These room units stretched from the basement to the loft. The "Old School" was an outstanding example of brick architecture in the High Gothic style, which was one of the top achievements of the secular construction in the Baltic Sea region. The building was richly decorated with facades, friezes and pinnacles, red and green glazes adorned the bricks of the wall surfaces and the many ornamental stones of the ornamental elements.In April 1945, the "Old School" was so badly hit in an air raid that the remains of the building had to be demolished between 1946 and 1948. The still very substantial inventory of the cellar was filled with rubble and paved over.In 2001, the first excavations revealed small parts of the basement masonry. The excavation and securing work on the memorial could be continued in an effective and visible manner in the following years.Source: Information board
August 27, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!