😂 Since the Romans really have absolutely nothing to do with hats! 😂😂😂Already in the middle of the 19th century there were first considerations for the construction of a railway connection from Stolberg to Belgium and Luxembourg. After the section of the Vennbahn between the stations Aachen-Rothe earth and Walheim was built in 1885, the railway line from Stolberg main station via Stolberg-Hammer to Walheim was completed in 1889 and connected to the Vennbahn. In the course of this extension, the viaduct on the Indetal, locally also called Falkenbachtal, led. The Falkenbach Viaduct (also known as the viaduct Schlausermühle) originally had only five arches; longer dams at both ends should compensate for the height difference. Since the resulting width of this dam, however, additional land acquisition would have been necessary, a longer viaduct was realized with eight bows. Limestone was chosen as the building material. The opening of the section to Walheim, on which the viaduct is located, took place on December 21, 1889.
January 28, 2019
During the Second World War, on September 11, 1944, the two northern pillars of the viaduct were blown up by retreating German soldiers and then replaced by a steel structure that could accommodate a single track by American pioneers. This steel structure was repaired in the 1950s by the Deutsche Bundesbahn, the cost of which was 60,000 D-Marks. During the repair, girders were reinforced and a railing was attached. Plans to replace the steel structure with a concrete bridge failed.
Due to its poor condition, the Falkenbach Viaduct was recently only passable at an ever lower speed. Since it could no longer absorb braking forces, it was finally blocked for operation. Source: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkenbachviadukt
August 13, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.