Designers of the new Elbbrücke were the engineer Prof. dr. Claus Köpcke and construction inspector Hans Manfred Krüger, who erected a suspension bridge suspended on two pylons without a pylori, thus creating one of the first bridge constructions of this type in Europe. Because of the bold construction and the blue-green paint, the new Elbbrücke was popularly known as the "Blue Wonder".
After a successful stress test with three steam rollers, three tram lorries loaded with stones and heavy water tank cars, the responsible experts were able to remove the structure. Even a rifle company of the Saxon army was marched in lockstep across the bridge to measure any subsidence or displacement. Officially, the bridge, which was handed over to public traffic on July 15, 1893, was given the name King Albert Bridge, which was changed to Loschwitz Bridge in 1921 following the incorporation of both towns. With the completion of the construction of the already to Blasewitz electric tram to the Körnerplatz and was later extended to Pillnitz. Not only the tram passengers, but all users of the bridge had to build bridge toll in the first years, for which toll booths developed at both ends. It was only in 1921, this obligation bridge fees, which temporarily brought up to 100,000 marks a year, repealed. For vehicles, it even ended only on 1 June 1924. The two customs houses on the bridgeheads fell victim to the 1935 reconstruction.
March 14, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.