The oldest castle in Munich from the 12th Century on the northeastern edge of the medieval old town, built since 1255 by Wittelsbachers as a residence of their capital. Abandoned in the 16th century in favor of the newest residence, since then the seat of various administrations, repeatedly rebuilt and rebuilt. After destruction in World War II, it was also supplemented with new buildings, most recently after 2001. Particularly noteworthy is the "Lorenzistock" by the architect Peter Kulka.
In summer, events in the yard, e.g. "Franconian Wine Festival" in July.
In front of the northern gate equestrian statue of Emperor Ludwigs of Bavaria, the only Bavarian Emperor.
November 21, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!