"... The church was built between 1852 and 1856 by the Cologne cathedral master builder Vincenz
Statz (born April 9, 1819 in Cologne, † August 21, 1898 in Cologne), the main work of which is the New Cathedral in Linz in Upper Austria.
The Rheinbrohler parish church, about which King Friedrich Wilhelm IV, according to tradition, exclaimed “What is there for a cathedral?” Is built in the neo-Gothic style and was a model for this architectural style in the Louvre in Paris in the 1980s. It should be noted that the builder Vincenz Statz was one of the most important and influential representatives of neo-Gothic in the Rhineland.
The large crucifixion group outside is from Father August Nierling, who came to Rheinbrohl after the Second World War. Here he created many clay figures that were fired at the Mannesmann company in Bad Hönningen.
The figures of the large high cross in the outdoor area were made in 1946 and inaugurated on the Sunday of the fair of the same year. The cross was made by the local Hilgers company. At that time it was intended for the chancel, as the high altar was destroyed after the war. However, the congregation's faithful found it very difficult with the huge cross in the chancel and so it was removed again during a major church renovation in 1954 and since then it has been in the outside area of the church near the entrance to the left transept. ... "
Text: Andreas Kossmann
June 11, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!