The water wheel on the Wiesent is one of the city's landmarks.
The floods have been drawing water from the Wiesent since around the 17th century. This is also where the island tour begins, which is marked with the sign “Wasserrad” and leads around 2 km along the Wiesent around the old town of Ebermannstadt.
Presumably the technology was brought to us by crusaders from the Orient. Old documents refer to several water wheels along the Wiesent, which were also used to irrigate the meadows and fields.
In 1950 the water scooped up by the water wheel was channeled through two street gutters, called Bächla, on the right and left of the main street to the "Lower Gate" at the city pharmacy. The water washed away the rubbish. A stone gutter covered with steel plates provided for the drainage of the water.
January 23, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.