The parish, a quarter church of the parish of Borgloon, dates back to before 1275. There was a 13th-century Romanesque church, of which remains can still be found in the substructure of the tower and nave. Here you will find rubble of, among other things, silex. A Gothic choir was added possibly in the 14th century. The superstructure of the tower, in brick with layers of marlstone, bears the date 1616. The current superstructure of the nave was installed in the 18th century.
The church was restored from 1967-1970, with the 18th-century round arch windows in the choir being replaced by Gothic pointed arch windows.
The white church, surrounded by a cemetery, is very picturesquely situated on a hill, with a partial view of the open field.
It has a single nave, a choir with three-sided closure and a prebuilt west tower topped by a constricted spire.
In the cemetery are some 17th- and 18th-century burial crosses. There is also the former cast iron village pump, now converted into a lantern.
January 3, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!