In the immediate vicinity of the cathedral stands on the Domberg the Severikirche. It is one of the few five-nave Gothic hall churches in Germany. It is believed that in its place already in 836 a Benedictine nunnery stood. Around 935, on the Domberg, presumably between the cathedral and nunnery, the Canon Foundation St. Severi was founded and filled with canons. The probably built by them Severikirche burned in 1080 completely and after reconstruction again in the year 1142 partly from. In the period from 1278 to about 1400, the present building, a four-bay, five-aisled hall with two transepts to the east and west was built. Two square towers, which as well as the entire area above the choir were built in the course of the reconstruction after the great fire of 1472, border the choir in the north and south.
The so-called Severisarkophag in the southern aisle, which dates back to around 1360 and whose cover plate is now used as an altarpiece in the front aisle, is one of the greatest achievements of German sculpture of the 14th century. Scenes from the life of Saint Severus are depicted on his plates.
March 8, 2019
The Severikirche is a church of the Roman Catholic Church in Erfurt. It stands on the Domberg next to the Erfurt Cathedral. As a unique architectural ensemble, they together form the landmark of the city. Due to its unusual design, which seems to anticipate the late Gothic hall church, the Severikirche is one of the most important Gothic buildings in Germany. In an artistically significant sarcophagus rest the remains of the church patron Severus of Ravenna (Wikipedia).
December 27, 2018
The Severikirche is an early example of the Gothic hall churches. Deep expansion and stretching in the broad are masterfully balanced and cause a festive impression of space. Originally, an east and a west choir were planned. It is recognizable by the great breadth of the first and the last yoke, which were planned as transepts. Another indication of this cross-ship function is the magnificent wheel window in the northern transept. Above the south portal sits the holy Severus as bishop, a plastic masterpiece (around 1365) of the creator of the Neuwerk-Madonna in the Angermuseum. The Madonna above the north portal, built around 1360, is a modest work. From a later time, already from the beginning of the 16th century, comes the crucifix of this portal. Inside the church are masterpieces of the Erfurt sculpture. A stone Madonna (around 1345) on the choir neck bears the name of her artist Johann Gehardt. The so-called Severisarcophagus in the southern aisle is one of the greatest achievements of German sculpture of the 14th century. Two masters worked on it. The larger has designed the cover plate, which is used today as an altarpiece in the front aisle.
August 1, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!