The Erthal obelisk in Erfurt on Domplatz has the following inscription, which was only readable by a photo with a subsequent increase in contrast, color values and brightness:
THE BEST FATHER IN THE COUNTRY
FRIEDRICH CARL IOSEPH
OF HEALING. CHAIR AT MAINZ ERZBISCHOFF
OF HEALING. RÖM. R. BY GERM. ORCHANCELLOR AND CHURCH PRINCE
ALSO BORN PRINCE AND BISHOP TO WORMS etc. etc.
JANUARY 3, 1719. CHOSEN JULY 18, 1774.
IN THE HIGHEST OWNERS PERSON CURRENTLY IN
ERFURT 17 MAY 1777. HAVE THIS MONUMENT
TO ETERNAL MEMORY FROM DEEPLY PAYABLE
GRATEFULNESS OF THE HIGHEST GRACEFUL GUARDIANS
PRESENT OF HIS CHURCH'S GRACE
BUILD THE FAITHFUL SUBJECT
HIESIGER CITY Erfurt.
January 25, 2020
Over the years, weather conditions and lightning strikes required multiple restoration of the ailing stones. On the occasion of a visit by William II, the obelisk was restored in 1899. In 1990, at the expense of private donors, a partial renovation and 2005, the socket was repaired (Wikipedia).
October 4, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!