On the west side of the village, about 50 m to the side of the main road and 396 m high above the Wiesenttal, on a steep cliff, picturesquely beautiful Schloß Plankenfels pictured above.
On the estate were once the lords of Plankenfels.
From 1283 it was the seat of the lords of Plankenfels. One of them was around 1322 Bishop of Chiemsee, another, Friedrich von Plankenfels, was around 1450 Bishop of Regensburg.
The castle consists of a newer and older building, joined together by a connecting building. It was destroyed in the Peasants' War in 1525 under the ownership of Georg von Plankenfels, but rebuilt shortly thereafter.
The castle Plankenfels is privately owned and can not be visited. On request, however, it is possible to use the orangery of the castle as a wedding room. Interested wedding couples, we ask, to contact the registry office of the Verwaltungsgemeinschaft Hollfeld.
In the castle, today can be rented a holiday apartment with a wonderful view of the Wiesenttal.
The Protestant association Plankenfels and the parish of Mengersdorf have the right to worship in the chapel of the north wing of the castle free of charge and for everlasting times every four weeks.
May 6, 2017
Built on a rocky ridge, Plankenfels Castle dominates the romantic Wiesent Valley, which runs through the northern Franconian Switzerland in its natural state.The southern wing of the castle has been extensively restored in recent years and has now opened its doors to holiday guests who appreciate a place steeped in history and who would like to live like a lord of a castle.
December 21, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!