The castle Wiesentfels is a rock castle over the district Wiesentfels the Upper Franconian town Hollfeld in the district of Bayreuth. The castle is privately owned and can be visited. Castle tours are offered every Sunday at 14.00 and 15.00.
The castle was owned by the Counts of Giech from 1333 to 1938. Knight Albert von Giech received the castle in 1333 from the Bishopric of Bamberg as a fief. In 1412, two-thirds of the castle as Unterwiesentfels to Heinz von Schaumberg and 1415, a third of the castle was awarded as Oberwiesentfels to Hans II of Giech.After the Hussite invasion in 1433 Oberwiesentfels was described as desolate and disappeared in 1467 from the Lehensbüchern. From 1476 to 1481 the castle Wiesentfels was rebuilt. In 1487, the brothers Otto and Dietz von Giech received half of the new castle from the Hochstift as a fief. In 1525 it was burned down by insurgent peasants and then rebuilt by Count Achaz of Giech in the old style.In 1632, the high priest seized the fief of the Protestant nobles and thus begged the colonel Hans Wolf von Salis. 1654 the lords of Giech were again invested with Wiesentfels, who were raised in 1695 in the count. From then on, the castle remained the residence and property of the Counts of Giech until 1938, when the last count died. The heirs sold it in 1969, in 2009 it was sold again.
May 5, 2017
Here at Schloss Wiesentfels was filmed in 2017 for the movie "Five Friends - In the Valley of the Dinosaurs". Julian's Adventures, "Dick" (Richard), "George", Anne and Timmy the Dog are detective stories by Enid Blyton.
21 volumes she wrote about the experiences of the five friends.
November 4, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.